Skip to main content

Housing options for young people - Slough Borough Council

I think I have to leave home, what should I do?

If you have to leave home because your family have asked you to, or you feel you are in danger please call us on 01753 475111.

Leaving home is a big deal. Do not leave home because of an argument with your family or because you feel you want more independence; we will not be able to help you if you make yourself homeless unless you are in a dangerous situation.

Things are rarely so bad that you have to leave the family home immediately. Maybe, you can all agree some ground rules until alternative accommodation can be found? If you, your parents or carers really feel that things aren’t working at home it is always best to plan a possible move from home. Could you stay with a friend or relative so that you can have a break from each other whilst you either work things out or find somewhere else to live? You can also contact the Young People’s Service on 01753 875510 who may be able to help you to work things out so that you do not have to leave immediately. Timing is everything- get advice and support early on before things reach breaking point, you don’t have to sort things out on your own.

If you are 17 or under and your parents or carers have told you to leave, ask them to come with you to Observatory House and speak to a social worker. If they cannot come to with you, you will need to provide a letter from them stating why they have asked you to leave.

What help can I get from the Housing Assessment team?

This all depends on your situation; we have a duty to provide advice and support to anyone who comes to us but we do not have to provide accommodation for everyone.

You may be able to get help if:

  • you are being abused or are at risk
  • you are leaving care and have nowhere else to go
  • your family has evicted you and you have nowhere else to go.

You might not be entitled to help from us if:

  • you have had an argument and have walked out
  • you have been asked to leave because of your behaviour
  • you have lived in Slough for less than 5 years or have been placed into Slough by another borough.

Contacting us

If you have been forced to leave your home suddenly and are homeless, with no where to go call 01753 475111.

Facts about leaving home

You may have been told by your friends that you will get a council flat if you tell us your family has kicked you out. The truth is that you will not. There is a shortage of social housing in Slough and a long waiting list of people already on the Housing Register. You can apply to go on this list at 16 but will have a long wait, even if you are accepted on the Register, having met all the criteria.

All letting agents and landlords will ask you to pay a rent deposit and rent in advance and you will get asked to provide a guarantor too. A guarantor is an adult who will be responsible for your property if you cannot pay the rent, or if you cause any damage. The guarantor must be in full-time employment and usually have a minimum earnings level.

Moving out and maintaining your home once you have your own place is very expensive. On top of your deposit and rent in advance you will also need to pay for the following things every month:

  • rent
  • council tax
  • water charges
  • electricity and/or gas
  • internet, phone and TV
  • TV licence
  • mobile phones
  • food
  • clothing
  • cleaning products.

If you do still feel that you have to move out and are worried about how you will cope with all these bills and expenses, the Young People’s Service may be able to support you with an advisor who can help you with money management like free budgeting and benefits advice. If you are aged 16-19 (or 25 with a statement of Special Education Needs) then an advisor is available for information, advice and guidance drop in sessions which take place at various venues across Slough. Call us on 01753 875510 if you would like to make an appointment.

Want to hear from other young people who’ve been there and done that? Watch this short Youtube film for valuable insights into other young people’s experiences.