Skip to main content

Support for Carers in Slough

In Slough there are 12,000 people giving unpaid support to a loved one. Are you one of them?

It doesn’t matter how little you think you do, what would they do without you? If you help a member of your family, friend or neighbour to do things like shopping, housework, medication or with emotional issues, then you are a carer.

A carer is someone who provides unpaid support to family or friends who could not manage without this help. This could be a relative, partner or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or is affected by mental health or substance misuse. It includes young people under 18 who may be caring at home.

What support is available for you?

Life as a carer can be a juggling act and you might find you don’t have time for yourself to do what you want to do. You may get tired and run down, and your own health may suffer.

If you are a carer, you can find free independent information, advice and support through Slough Carers Support.

As a carer you are entitled to a carer’s assessment, which can help you to do the things that you want to do. For more information, contact Slough Borough Council’s website

Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust offer carers assessments and specialist provision to carers supporting people with mental health problems.

If you are a carer of a disabled child and would like to discuss a parent carers assessment, please contact the Slough Children’s Trust First Contact.

An advocate can help you if you need support to express your needs during an assessment or if you’re facing an issue currently. ‘Advocacy in Slough’ provides a free, confidential and independent service to adults.

A young carer may spend time cooking, cleaning, shopping, giving medication to the person they look after or help them to wash and dress. They may also take brothers or sisters to school. Young carers can sometimes feel tired and unable to concentrate on their school or college work. They can get worried or feel stressed because of their caring responsibilities. If you think you or someone you know might be a young carer and would like information, help or advice support is available to Slough young carers aged 11-19 years. Please contact Young People's Service

You can register as a carer at your GP practice, either by speaking to your GP or asking at reception. By registering as a carer you could be entitled to a health check (for over 45s), a free flu jab and flexible appointments.

Slough Borough Council has joined forces with national charity Carers UK to offer support to carers via an online platform that can be accessed 24/7. To find out more visit  and create a new account using the code: DGTL4366

A carer’s allowance (CA) is a benefit for people who are 16 and over, who regularly care for a disabled person. You may get carer’s allowance if: • you are caring for someone who gets the middle or highest rate care component of disability living allowance, or a personal independence payment daily living component, or attendance allowance • you are caring for someone 35 or more hours a week • you are not working and earning more than £100 a week • you are not a full-time student (attending a course for 21 hours or more a week). You cannot get carer’s allowance if you are: • already getting income support, jobseeker’s allowance, employment and support allowance, incapacity benefit or retirement pension credit, bereavement benefits and some other benefits. You may still get some extra money, called the carer’s premium, if you claim CA while on means-tested benefits. For more information and how to apply: Helpline: 0345 608 4321.