Legal framework and definitions
The framework within which children’s services work with children, young people and their families is underpinned by a range of legislation including, but not limited to:
- Children’s Acts 1989 and 2004;
- Children’s (Leaving Care) Act 2000;
- Care Standards Act 2000;
- United Nations Convention on the rights of The Child;
- Human Rights Act 1998;
- Adoption and Children’s Act 2002;
- Data Protection Act 1998.
The policy framework also has regard to and is consistent with a range of government guidance, particularly the principles set out in Working Together to Safeguard Children 2018. Further information is available in 'Criterial for Children's Services - children with disabilities' in the Downloads section.