Your child can get free early education the term after their second birthday if you live in Slough and you get one of these benefits. Once your child has been approved for free early learning they will continue to be funded even if your family does not meet the criteria at a later date.
- Income Support
- Income based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Support through Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit and have an annual income under £16,190 before tax
- Working Tax Credit and have an annual income under £16,190 before tax
- Universal Credit for places starting in the summer term of 2018 (on or after 1 April 2018), or any subsequent term, if a parent is entitled to Universal Credit they must have an annual net earned income equivalent to and not exceeding £15,400, assessed on up to three of the parent’s most recent Universal Credit assessment periods.
Your child can also get free early education at the age of two, if:
- they are looked after by a local council
- they have an Education, Health and Care Plan (ECHP)
- they receive Disability Living Allowance
- they have left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order.
Your child will be able to start their free place from the beginning of the term after their second birthday. You can apply in the term of your child's second birthday. If you think you are eligible, please complete an application on the Citizen Portal. Further information can be found in the "apply now" section below.
The details you provide will be used to check your eligibility. In some cases, further details and evidence of income may be required.
For more information or help to complete the form, contact the Early Years Service on 01753 476554. You can also contact the Children’s Centres on 01753 476566.
To apply, please use our Citizen Portal. You can use the link below to login or to register for a new account. A "how to" guide can also be found below.
If you wish to apply using a paper application, you can download an application form here:
How to use the free early education place
Once your eligibility has been confirmed, you will be able to look for an early education place that suits you and your child. Places are available at approved nurseries, pre-schools, children’s centres and childminders.
- A list of approved places is on the Slough Family Information Service website.
You can discuss the hours your child attends with your chosen early years’ provider. For example, you may choose to use 15 hours a week term-time only or fewer hours a week over a full year.
For help to find a place email FIS@slough.gov.uk, call the Slough Family Information Service on 01753 476589 or the Early Years Service on 01753 476554.