Skip to main content

Free early education for 3 & 4 year olds – universal entitlement & extended entitlement

What is the universal and extended entitlement?

Universal entitlement

All children are entitled to a free early education place at an approved provider of the family’s choice, from the beginning of the term after they are three. This universal entitlement to a free early education place is free to parents and will provide a child with early education until they reach school age. The universal entitlement is 570 hours per year. This is often taken as 15 hours per week for 38 weeks of the year but families can arrange to take fewer hours per week over more weeks of the year if they prefer.

For example, your child could attend a setting for 11 hours per week for 51 weeks of the year.

Slough Borough council approves a range of providers to offer free early education places to 2, 3 and 4 year old children. These can be found on the Slough Family Information Service website  and include childminders, children’s centres, day nurseries, nursery classes in school, nursery schools, pre-schools and playgroups and private and independent nursery schools. Parents can phone the Family Information Service for information about early years providers on 01753 476589 or email them at

Parents can find a place for their child by contacting some settings and arranging to visit and have a look around. When you visit it is important to discuss whether the days / times that you require are available in the setting. Your child can take their free early education hours at one or two sites each day but the total hours of universal entitlement will not be more than 570 (15 hours per week for 38 weeks).

Extended entitlement - 30 hours

From 1 September 2017 the government is introducing an Extended Entitlement to early education for working families. The extended entitlement is an additional 570 hours, making 1140 hours in total. This works out to 30 hours per week for 38 weeks of the year, but, like the universal entitlement, this can be stretched over more weeks of the year if the family wishes and over more than one site per day.

For example, your child could attend a setting for 24 hours per week for 47 weeks of the year or 22 hours per week for 51 weeks of the year.

Am I eligible?

Your family is eligible for the extended entitlement if you are in work (both parents in a two parent household or one parent in a one parent household) and earning the equivalent of 16 hours per week at the national minimum or living wage and not more than £100,000 per year. If you are self employed, or on a zero hour contract you will be asked to confirm that you will meet the income threshold outlined above.

You can check whether you are eligible for a range of government childcare offers, including 30 hours, via Childcare Choices . If you are eligible to apply the site will direct you to the digital childcare service.