Skip to main content

Alcohol Change UK - If you are affected by someone else's drinking

Harmful drinking can cause significant issues not only for the drinker, but also for those around them in the form of health problems, financial worries, relationship breakdown and parenting difficulties. It's important that you get the support you need. Alcohol Change UK have put together a list of organisations which support the families and loved ones of people who drink heavily.

It can be exhausting supporting someone who is drinking to excess so it's important to make sure that you get enough sleep and have strategies for relieving your stress, as well as someone to talk to about how you're feeling.

  • Seek advice and support from a professional. The first place to start might be your GP.
  • You can also go directly to an alcohol support service.
  • There are also organisations who work specifically with families, friends and carers affected by someone else's drinking to help them with the difficulties they are experiencing. See our list of family support services.

Remember, you cannot control someone else’s drinking – they have their own reasons for drinking which ultimately have nothing to do with you.

The website also provides information on support available for under 18s and for family members. A list of organisation offering support is available below.

  • Adfam is the national charity working to improve life for families affected by drugs and alcohol. It aims to empower family members and carers, support frontline workers and influence decision-makers to prevent alcohol and drugs from destroying families. Using compassion and evidence, the charity informs, supports and empowers both people affected by a loved one’s substance use and the workers who support them. , 020 3817 9410 
  • Al-Anon Family Groups provide support to anyone whose life is, or has been, affected by someone else’s drinking, regardless of whether that person is still drinking or not. The organisation is a fellowship of relatives and friends of alcoholics who share their experiences to solve their common problems. It has over 800 support groups in the UK and Republic of Ireland. ,• 020 7403 0888
  • Bottled Up offers information and advice for family members living with someone who is alcohol dependent. The two founders of the organisation are a therapist and a psychologist who have direct experience of alcoholism.
  • Carers UK provides advice, information and support for carers. They also have an online community of carers and are available to Carers UK members 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. •0808 808 7777 (Mondays to Tuesdays, 10am-4pm)
  • The Children Society’s Stars initiative provides a hub of information, guidance and resources on parental drug and alcohol use, and the impact it has on children and families. Through its work it promotes the voices of children and young people, as well as seeking to influence policy and practice. •0300 303 7000
  • DrugFam is a charity that provides support for families affected by alcohol or drug dependency. Through its support services, it aims to provide a lifeline of safe, caring and professional support to families, friends and carers who are struggling to cope with a loved one’s addiction to drugs or alcohol.   •0300 888 3853
  • Family Lives is a charity with over three decades of experience helping parents to deal with the changes that are a constant part of family life. It aims to support the many people that play active roles in raising children to achieve the best relationship possible with their children, as well as supporting parenting professionals.  •0808 800 2222
  • Grandparents Plus is the national charity which champions the vital role of grandparents and the wider family in children’s lives – especially when they take on the caring role in difficult family circumstances. Its role involves advising and supporting grandparents and wider family members to ensure they have access to a holistic service, and offering them professional advice, information and casework support. •0300 123 7015
  • The Icarus Trust offers support for families of people with addiction, including alcohol dependence. It provides a ‘Family and Friends’ service, whereby trained volunteers offer personal support and help signpost to appropriate professionals who can provide specialist help.
  • Nacoa is a helpline charity providing information, advice and support for everyone affected by their parent’s drinking, including adults.  •0800 358 3456 •
  • Relate is the UK’s largest provider of relationship support. As well as offering advice and relationship counselling for couples, it also provides advice for parents and other family members to help families deal with difficult times. The charity has a network of Relate Centres across the UK and a group of licensed local counsellors that provide face-to-face counselling and support.  •0300 100 1234
  • Scottish Families Affected by Alcohol & Drugs exists to support those affected by the substance use of a loved one. It facilitates a Scotland-wide network of family support groups and runs a helpline service. •08080 10 10 11.

Who to contact

020 3907 8480
Alcohol Change UK


This information has been collected from third party providers therefore the Slough Family Information Service website and Slough Borough Council cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of this information and recommends that parents, carers, young people, residents and professionals check with providers regarding DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) and OFSTED registrations and CQC registrations