Skip to main content

Haybrook College & PRU

Service has Local Offer

Haybrook College provides an alternative education in Slough for almost 200 pupils aged 11-19 who have been excluded, are at serious risk of exclusion or who exclude themselves from mainstream education, some with significant mental health issues.  We also provide an education for young people with serious medical conditions.  At any one time, about a third of our students have statements for social, emotional and behavioural difficulties.

Who to contact

Suzanne Green
PA to Executive Headteacher
01628 696075 general enquiries
Haybrook College Trust

Where to go

112, Burnham Lane

Local Offer

Contact Name
Mr Jamie Rockman
Contact Telephone
01628 696075
Contact Email
SEND policy and Information Report
Local Offer Age Bands
Secondary (11-16 years)
Transitions to Adulthood (16+)

Extended Local Offer Response

Special Educational Needs Policy

Haybrook College has a KS3 and KS4 Pupil Referral Unit (PRU) and a special school called Millside School. We specialise in supporting young people who have not been able to maintain a placement in their local school either due to a Social, Emotional or Mental Health (SEMH) difficulty or those who are Medically Vulnerable (MV).
The PRU offers a range of intervention strategies at KS3: Herschel Pupil Training Centre ( a four week course) , Momentum (two week course) and Interim. The 
At KS4 we offer three distinct programmes: Activate, Apollo (previously known as the Virtual School) Artemis and Springboard.  Some of the young people who attend the PRU have a SEN statement or an Education Health and Care Plan but most do not. When young people leave us at the end of Year 11 we aim to ensure that they are able to successfully transfer into further Education Employment, or Training (EET).
Through our relationship with Pitstop Charity, we have a vocational section where we offer courses to local schools as well as Haybrook in Motor Vehicle, Construction and Catering at Kitchen Craft.
Wexham Park Hospital Schoolroom is based at Wexham Park hospital with a room also in the Activate provision at the Thomas Gray centre.
The Gateway provides for young people who are post 16 but who are not quite ready for a place in a Further Education College or employment and so are Not in Employment, Education or Training (NEET).
We also offer a 12 week programme funded through Barnardos for young people ( 14  – 18 year olds ) who have disengaged with education in a local school.

Teaching and Learning

       What additional support can be provided in the classroom?
Class sizes are small, across the PRU up to 10 in a class with at least two adults in the class: a teacher and a Sports Coach Mentor (SCM). Where young people have statements (or Education Health and Care Plans) or are on a 1:1 programme, there may be additional support.

What provision do you offer to facilitate access to the curriculum and to develop independent learning?

The curriculum at KS3 at Interim is based on the National Curriculum but is carefully adapted to meet the diverse and complex cohort of learners we have. Across the PRU there is a major focus on literacy and numeracy throughout all lessons. The HPTC programme, ‘Managing Self’, is a four week programme focusing on supporting young people to manage their behaviour better.

At KS4 we offer learners the opportunity to study from entry level to GCSE with some vocational BTECs. Learners are supported to develop their enquiry skills through a range of different teaching styles and through differentiation in the classroom. We have a specialist literacy and numeracy support teacher who works 1:1 with learners to help improve their confidence and ability in literacy. We offer a wide range of vocational qualifications including Motor Vehicle, Catering and Construction: this enables learners to develop their skills in a practical setting which suits the nature of the young people.

What ongoing support and development is in place for staff regards supporting children and young people with SEN?

All staff receive a range of training including safeguarding and Team Teach. Twilight sessions for teachers are all based on teaching and learning and provide opportunities for staff to work with colleagues from across different centres. The Leader of Learning provides training for newly qualified teachers (NQTs) and our Teaching and Learning Responsibility (TLR) team, work with departments and individuals to support learning. All staff are involved in developing Individual Management Plans (IMPs) for young people and the SENCO takes a lead on advising more targeted support for those learners who need it. All provisions across the College have daily debrief sessions so that the needs of the learners are always monitored, reviewed and adapted as needed. Centres regularly use an educational psychologist to develop strategies to support staff in maximising learning.

What arrangements are made for reasonable adjustments in the curriculum and support to the pupil during exams?

All young people are tested when they start at Haybrook College which allows staff to identify where any additional needs are. Learners who are entitled to access arrangements for their exams are supported in accessing readers, scribes, prompts, extra time and use of coloured paper in their exam and in their lessons. We are able to provide additional rooms for young people to take their exams in and all support is provided by staff who work daily with the learner.

How do you share educational progress and outcomes with parents?

All learners are set educational targets in their provision at various times during the school year. Parents are invited in for these meetings and the target setting process shared with them. Learners receive school reports during the school year which highlight their progress. Parent consultation evenings are held and annual reviews of educational statements are discussed also at various points throughout the year. Parents are kept informed daily, where appropriate, of their child’s progress in school.

What external teaching and learning do you offer?

The PRU use a range of external teaching and learning opportunities; Path Hill, Music and college courses for those aged 14-16 including Hair and Beauty, Motor Vehicle and Sports Leadership. Learners are also given opportunities to access a range of off-site activities to further support their education on-site such as visits to colleges, museums and sporting events. We have also utilized 1:1 mentoring programs.

What arrangements are in place to ensure that support is maintained in "off-site provision"?

Some young people are given the opportunity to access education being provided by external agencies such as college or vocational activities.  Staff carefully select any off-site provisions and initial visits and risk assessments are completed. Pupils are usually accompanied by a member of the school staff on their first few visits. Attendance is monitored and reports sent to school from any off-site provider. A member of staff from the centre will make regular visits to long term offsite providers to ensure that our young people are achieving in line with expectations.

What work experience opportunities do you offer?

Pupils in the PRU in Y10 and Y11 are offered the opportunity to take part in work experience. They receive Information Advice and Guidance (IAG) from staff led by our Moving on Co-ordinator. They are supported in the process through a range of workshops and interviews and then when on work experience receive regular visits from mentors. Moving on the EET is also carefully planned and monitored and our Post 16 provision provides an additional avenue for those young people who are not yet ready to move on away from the College. At the KS4 PRU programmes, all pupils have access to at least a 1 week block placement. Some pupils have the option to participate in a longer term placement of 1 day per week for 12 weeks.

Identifying and Assessing Special Educational Needs

·        The PRU provision identifies pupils’ SEN  in a number of ways: 

  • Information received from the local school.
  • Meeting parents and carers and offering them the opportunity to share important information with Haybrook staff which helps us to support their child.
  • Base line testing when young people join us: this can sometimes give us more accurate information than data from schools as many young people who join us have been out of school for some time.
  • Information from a range of other professionals such as educational psychologists and youth workers.
  • At the PRU a few of the young people already have a statement, (or EHC plan) in place before joining the school in which needs have already been identified.
    However, through continual assessment further educational needs may be identified by staff at the PRU provision, and strategies put in place to address these difficulties. The schools employs a range of professional to further support this process including an Educational Psychologist and staff from the autism service amongst others.

Young people are encouraged to let staff know if they are finding anything particularly difficult.

Involving Parents and Children and Young People in Planning and Reviewing Progress

What arrangements are in place for review meetings for children with Statements or Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans?

All young people who have a Statement or EHC plan will have these reviewed on an annual basis or more frequently if emergency reviews are required.  Parents and carers are always invited to the review process organised by the School’s SENCO Team. They have the opportunity to share concerns and alongside their child, help to write the targets. The SENCO will usually meet with the child before the review meeting to gain their views so that they feel prepared for the meeting.

What arrangements are in place for children with other SEN support needs?

The PRU works closely with a range of professionals who support the young people who attend the PRU. These include staff from the Autism service, Speech and Language service, the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) and the Educational Psychology Service. A Sports Mentor is in every lesson to help support the learning needs of the pupils. The SEN Personal Advisor also meets with our statemented pupils to help support them with their career choices at post 16. In addition we have a dedicated ‘Moving On, Co-ordinator to support transition at Post 16.

How do you ensure that parents know “who’s who” and who they can contact if they have concerns about their child/young person?

As a part of the young person’s induction in to the PRU, parents are given the opportunity to meet key members of staff, including the Head of Centre, Form Tutor and School Admin Officer. The pupil will meet the majority of staff on their induction programme. Parents will find that the staff team at the PRU are very approachable and are always on hand to help however they can. Regular contact with home will be maintained via the SCM

Do parents have to make an appointment to meet with staff or do you have an Open Door policy?

Due to the relatively small numbers, we are able to have very regular contact with parents. We will always make time to meet with parents, whether they have made an appointment or not.

How do you keep parents updated with their child/young person’s progress?

Academic progress is reported to parents at the end of each term. A full report will be sent out towards the end of the school year. Progress will also be shared at termly target setting meetings, annual review meetings and parent consultation meetings: teaching staff are always happy to discuss more specific progress with you at any point, if you have any concerns.

How can parents give feedback to the school?

At the target days and parents evening, parents have the opportunity to give the school feedback, either verbally of through parental surveys.

Do you have home/school contracts?

No, we don’t. We do not especially like ‘rules,’ we prefer to work with ‘expectations.’ We explain our expectations when pupils start at the PRU and always encourage pupils to follow them, however we do not like to use home/school contracts as they can become negative if and when rules inevitably get broken. We find they are better suited to mainstream schools.

What opportunities do you offer for pupils to have their say? e.g. school council

We have a Student Council where pupils can discuss issues that are important to them. Each class has a representative on the council. Students are also on a pupil panel when there are interviews for staff as we value their opinion about who they would like to work with them. Tutor times also provide an informal yet structured forum for pupil voice.

What opportunities are there for parents to have their say about their son/daughter’s education?

We welcome parents sharing their feelings about their child’s education. We have regular opportunities at target setting meetings, parent consultation meetings and at annual reviews although we are always happy for parents to talk to us in between these more formal opportunities.

What opportunities are there for parents to get involved in the school or become school governors?

Parents are sometimes invited on educational visits and activities: if you are happy to be involved in this way, please let us know. We have previously had a parent’s support group where parents have met together socially and supported each other.

Additional Support

Do you offer help with completing forms and paperwork?  If yes, who normally provides this help and how would parents access this?

A range of staff are available to help parent’s complete paperwork which may be about or affect their child. This can be done by calling the Centre office to ask for an appointment.

What information, advice and guidance can parents and young people access through the school?   Who normally provides this help and how would they access this?

Young people at the PRU are supported by a Moving on Coordinator who provides information and advice about careers about moving on to employment or further education. A Special Educational Needs Personal Advisor (SEN PA) will also offer support to pupils from Year 9 through to Year 11. The SEN PA attends Annual Reviews and will usually meet with your child a couple of times throughout this time. If parents have any questions about their child’s options post 16 or any other related matter, we can arrange for the Moving On Coordinator or the SEN PA to contact you.

How does the school help parents with travel plans to get their son/daughter to and from school?

These are discussed at the Annual Review. Individual support on independent travel can be developed with support from a Sports Coach Mentor, the Moving on Coordinator or the Family Link Worker.

Extra Activities

·        Do you offer school holiday and/or before and after school provision?  If yes, please give details. 

We provide activities and opportunities for the pupils that develop their interests and talents through enjoyment and raising self- esteem. All Centres at Haybrook College have a breakfast club, where the majority of pupils and staff have a breakfast together before the start of the school day. We also benefit from regular workshops provided by outside agencies and organisations during the school day and after schools sessions in various areas of the curriculum. A broad range of sporting activities take place at lunchtime and there are opportunities for the learners to be involved in various local sporting projects after school hours. Slough’s Youth Service and Leisure Services supports the college with activities throughout the holidays and we inform the pupils of what is on offer in their local areas. 

What lunchtime or after school activities do you offer?  Do parents have to pay for these and if so, how much?

We offer sports and games during lunchtime and subject area sessions after school. Students are also taken on various educational and reward trips which develops and extend their interests and skills. All activities are free. 

How do you make sure clubs, activities and residential trips are inclusive? 

We try and ensure that everyone has a chance to go on trips by making sure that the activities are free.  Staff will contact parents by phone as well as by letter to ensure that all parents are informed of all activities provided. We always try to provide transport to ensure that pupils do not miss out. 

How do you help children and young people to make friends? 

Developing young people’s ability to make friends underpins much of what we do on a day to day basis We have programmes to develop their social skills so that they are able to interact with each other in a positive and respectful way. We encourage all young people to appreciate the needs of others and of the community around them and so encourage a community of tolerance and understanding of each other. Staff are aware of the need to role model such behaviours in the way they communicate to the young people and also to each other. It is a priority for all staff to ensure that all pupils feel safe, secure and valued at all times. We provide opportunities for young people to work closely and constructively together throughout the school day. During lesson and at break times, we provide team building activities that develop their relationships with each other and sport is used as an excellent medium to foster good relationships amongst pupils.

Meeting the Social and Emotional Needs of Children and Young People with SEN

·        Health (including Emotional Health and Wellbeing)
We believe that if young people are not healthy they will not learn. We therefore make sure that young people’s needs are met as fully as possible; a healthy breakfast and lunch are provided on some sites, academic and pastoral support remain our focus and healthy lifestyles are always encouraged. All staff are trained in Child Protection with some Qualified First Aiders also on the staff team. 

What is the school’s policy on administering medication?
The PRU has a lockable cabinet which is kept secured within a room which is normally manned or kept locked. When a pupil joins parents are asked to sign a document that will allow their child to take certain types of medication under staff supervision. We currently store Paracetamol and Hayfever medication in our medical cabinet. In the event a pupil requires any medication from home, we request this be handed in and staff will help administer this at the appropriate times. The PRU will often ask parents if they would like their child to be offered some medication before sending children home ill: it is always our aim to try to keep pupils in school where possible. 

How do you work with the family to draw up a care plan and ensure that all relevant staff are aware of the plan?
At the end of each day, all staff have a meeting at which the young people in the PRU are discussed. This provides the opportunity to share the most current information to the appropriate staff. The Head of Centre, along with other staff, develops a series of Pupil Information documents that include Individual Behaviour Management Plans and Pupil Risk Assessments. The SENCO provides medical and SEN information to relevant staff so that they are all fully aware of each pupil’s needs. Termly IEP targets are written with families and again, all staff have copies and are aware of each pupil’s targets. The school nurse is involved with supporting looked after young people and those on care plans and will visit to make the required health checks. 

What would the school do in the case of a medical emergency
If there was a medical emergency the PRU would call 999 and a trained first aider would administer first aid where appropriate. A member of staff would accompany the young person in the ambulance. Parents would be informed as soon as practically possible. 

How do you ensure that staff are trained/qualified to deal with a child’s particular needs?
There is a training programme in place to support PRU staff: there is a comprehensive induction programme as well as regular Continual Professional Development training for the PRU staff and also the wider Haybrook College. There is a wealth of experience amongst the staff, including staff who have specialist experience/ knowledge and/or training in the specifics of SEN, such as Dyslexia, ASD, Speech, Language and Communication Needs and more complex needs. In addition to this, the Educational Psychologist will hold solution-focussed strategy meetings which both share good practice and help find effective strategies for pupils maybe causing concern. 

Which health or therapy services can children access on school premises?
There is a range of support available to support young people, including the school nursing team, who support the school with Sexual Health Education and any other health issues or concerns, Turning Point who offer drugs, alcohol and smoking education as well as individual counselling, a psychotherapist who offers individual and family therapy andart therapy. The PRU also works closely with CAMHS supporting pupils and families.

Keeping Up to Date with Knowledge and Skills

·       Recruitment 

Haybrook College ensures that when staff are employed by the College, they come with experience and skills which are needed to work with young people with SEN. In addition to this there is an induction programme which all staff are required to undertake. This training ensures that staff are aware of the correct safeguarding procedures and the management of challenging behaviour. 


Throughout the year, the school also has a range of training opportunities to ensure that all staff are kept up to date with their knowledge and understanding of SEN. A range of professionals are invited in to school to share their expertise as well as well as ‘in-house’ training and the sharing of outstanding practice across the College.


Haybrook College understands that moving schools can be a particularly stressful time for young people. There is a comprehensive programme to support this move.

What support is offered for young people leaving the school? (e.g. careers guidance, visits to colleges, apprenticeships, supported employment etc)

Pupils get advice from the SEN Personal Advisor from year 9 (until the age of 25 years old if they have an EHC plan). Pupils at the PRU also have the support of Haybrook College’s Moving On Coordinator. She works with the pupils in school from year 11, supporting their applications and visits to colleges, helping them with interview preparation and even supporting with travel to interviews if necessary. Full support is offered from this stage onwards, through the summer holidays, through the initial phase of enrolling at college through to the following February. For pupils who are not quite at the stage for further education at one of the local colleges, Haybrook College has developed The Gateway, a specialist post 16 provision that works with pupils with SEN to prepare them for further education or employment.

Many young people who attend our outreach provision make a successful transition back into mainstream school. This is carefully planned with experienced staff who work with local schools, set targets and attend meetings. The young person receives regular visits from Haybrook staff to monitor and support their transition.

What advice/support do you offer young people and their parents about preparing for adulthood?

The College buys in a range of support from outside agencies to ensure that all young people have access to impartial Information Advice and Guidance.(IAG)

What handover arrangements will be made at the start and end of the school day?  Do you have parking areas for pick up and drop offs?

Many of the young people who attend the PRU make their own way to school or are brought to school by parents / carers.

The College staff support young people to get a bus pass if they are entitled to one. Some of the young people who attend the PRU are brought to and from school by a taxi. The drivers will bring the young people into their buildings where they will be greeted by PRU staff. At the end of the day, pupils are escorted to their taxis by a member of staff. We encourage parents to call the school in the morning if there are any concerns or important information we need, that may support us in supporting their children. Staff will equally call parents at the end of the day if they would like to hear about their young person’s day.

What support is offered during breaks and lunchtimes?

Haybrook recognises the challenges that unstructured times can present to young people with SEBD. There is a range of activities available to young people at break times and lunch times. There is always an option of two different sporting activities offered by the SCM team. For those who don’t want to get involved in sport, there is a choice of indoor activities, such as Art and Crafts and supervised social time with staff and each other. Staff always have their lunch with the young people and spend time with them at breaks.

How do you ensure my son/daughter stays safe outside the classroom? (e.g. during PE lessons and school trips)
All activities are risk assessed and staffing ratios are high. Staff are always carefully selected to ensure pupils are fully supported.

What are the school arrangements for undertaking risk assessments?
The school buys in to a risk assessment software which supports in the monitoring and recording of risk assessments. An experienced member of staff has the responsibility for conducting and recording all these risk assessments.

Where can parents find details of policies on bullying?
Policies can be found on the website and we will give hard copies to anyone who wants to. Parents and carers are encouraged to come in to school if they have any concerns about their child being bullied.

Helpful Contacts

PA to the Executive Headteacher of Haybrook College: 01628 696075

Manager of the Rotunda: 01753 823754

Manager at Springboard: 01628 696066

Manager of Apollo: 01628 696087

Manager of Activate: 01753 535874

Manager of The Gateway: 01753 535878

SBC SEN Department: 01753 787676

EP Service: 01753 786557

Parent partnership: 01753 877693

Moving On Coordinator: 01628 696073

Last Updated


This information has been collected from third party providers therefore the Slough Family Information Service website and Slough Borough Council cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of this information and recommends that parents, carers, young people, residents and professionals check with providers regarding DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) and OFSTED registrations and CQC registrations