Public Health Slough - COVID-19 Vaccination
Four coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccines have been developed and approved for use in the UK. (Pfizer/BioNTech, AstraZeneca/Oxford and Moderna plus Janssen vaccine available later this year).
The vaccines have met strict standards of safety, quality and effectiveness set out by the independent Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
The UK has enough vaccine availability to vaccinate the entire adult population and hopefully see an end to the coronavirus pandemic.
People aged 18 and over (or turning 18 within 3 months) can get a 1st and 2nd dose of a vaccine.
Most children and young people aged 12 to 17 are currently only being offered a 1st dose.
If you're aged 16 or over you can:
- book your COVID-19 vaccination appointments online for an appointment at a vaccination centre or pharmacy
- find a walk-in COVID-19 vaccination site to get vaccinated without needing an appointment
For Children aged 12 to 15
As a parent or guardian you will get a letter or email with information about when the vaccine will be offered, and you'll be asked to give consent.
Most children will be given their vaccine at school but you or your child can also:
- book their COVID-19 vaccination appointment online for an appointment at a vaccination centre or pharmacy
- check if there is a walk-in COVID-19 vaccination site near you to get vaccinated without needing an appointment
Not all walk-in vaccination sites can vaccinate children aged 12 to 15. More sites will become available over time.
Booking your 2nd dose (16+ only)
People aged 16 or over are eligible for a 2nd dose.
People aged 18 or over should have their 2nd dose from 8 weeks after their 1st dose.
Most people aged 16 or 17 should have their 2nd dose from 12 weeks after their 1st dose.
- If you book online, you'll be asked to book appointments for both doses. You can manage your COVID-19 vaccination appointments to view your appointments and rebook if you need to.
- If you had your 1st dose at a walk-in vaccination site, you can book your 2nd COVID-19 vaccination appointment online. You'll need to wait 24 hours after your 1st dose before you can book.
- If you have your 1st dose through your GP surgery, you'll be contacted when it's time to book your 2nd dose.
COVID-19 booster vaccine
Booster vaccine doses is be available on the NHS for people most at risk from COVID-19 who have had a 2nd dose of a vaccine at least 6 months ago. This currently includes people aged 40 and over. You can book your appointment 5 months after your last dose.
The NHS will let you know when it's your turn to have one.
Please note- There are various scams circulating. You will never be asked for your bank details to access the vaccine. The vaccine will be provided free of charge. Find out more...
Other useful info
Read the useful COVID vaccine FAQ guide and a checklist of what people should do before sharing content online created by Public Health Slough
Who to contact
- Public Health Slough
This information has been collected from third party providers therefore the Slough Family Information Service website and Slough Borough Council cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of this information and recommends that parents, carers, young people, residents and professionals check with providers regarding DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) and OFSTED registrations and CQC registrations