Parenting Special Children - Diagnosis Support and Helpline Service
Service has Local Offer
The Diagnosis Support & Helpline Service offers one to one support, signposting and information to families who have recently received a diagnosis for their child/young person or are awaiting an assessment.
This service can support parent/carers in a variety of ways:
- A pre-booked telephone consultation.
- Ring our Helpline.
- E-mail conversation.
- Face to face meetings
We aim to help parent/carers on a 1:1 personal level by:
- Offering understanding and support at an emotional and often frustrating time.
- Reducing parental loneliness and self-blame.
- Building up the self-esteem of the parent/carer by offering knowledge, useful tips and strategies to manage behaviour.
- Signposting families to other local and national services.
- Offering several ways of contacting the service when convenient for the parent/carer (phone, text, email, social media).
We hope that this support will enable you to begin to adjust to the news of the diagnosis or to help you through the assessment process and to lessen the feelings of isolation and anxiety that many parent/carers have at this time.
Parent/Carers of children with additional or special needs often find it very difficult to attend courses due to lack of time, support or childcare, so the Diagnosis Support and Helpline service appeals to them, as they can contact us when and how they find it easiest or most convenient.
For parent/carers waiting to get an assessment or have recently had a diagnosis for their child/young person of Autism or ADHD, we also offer Pre and Post Assessment workshops which will provide you with a greater understanding of Autism or ADHD.
Who's it for?
- Families living in Berkshire, or whose child attends a Berkshire School.
- Families awaiting a diagnosis.
- Families who have recently had a diagnosis.
- Parents in need of ongoing support through peer support.
Who to contact
- Jennie Kettell
- 07990 761676
- Parenting Special Children - Diagnosis Support and Helpline Service
This information has been collected from third party providers therefore the Slough Family Information Service website and Slough Borough Council cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of this information and recommends that parents, carers, young people, residents and professionals check with providers regarding DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) and OFSTED registrations and CQC registrations