Skip to main content

Disabled Facilities Grant

Service has Local Offer

Disability equipment and home adaptations can help you if you are disabled or an older person.

If you, or a member of your family, are having difficulty getting around your home due to a physical disability, sensory impairment or old age, you can request an occupational therapy assessment for equipment and adaptations to make it easier for you to live independently.

You must be a permanent Slough resident and have a disability which:

  • has lasted or is likely to last for at least 12 months and has no prospect of significant improvement
  • significantly affects your ability to carry out activities of daily living in the home, or imposes a burden on your carer or family.

Is there a charge for equipment and adaptations?

The assessment and advice is free and some items of equipment and minor adaptations are also usually free.
If you own or rent your home you may be entitled to a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) which can help towards the cost of adapting your home so you can live independently. You will be advised of this during your assessment.

Am I eligible for a DFG?

You can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant from the council if you or someone living in your property is registered as disabled under Government legislation and:

  • is either the owner, or tenant of the property (landlords may apply on behalf of disabled tenants)
  • you can certify that you, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, intend to occupy the property as your main residence throughout the grant period – currently five years.

For more information see GOV.UK Disabled facilities Grant (DFG).

How much will I get?

A financial means test will be carried out to determine the amount of grant you will be awarded. This will look at your average weekly income in relation to your outgoings. It takes into account any savings you may have above a certain limit, but not benefits such as Disability Living Allowance or Income Support.

There is no means testing for families of disabled children under 19.

If you do receive a Disabled Facilities Grant it will not affect any other benefits you currently receive. Find out more about grant amounts on the GOV.UK Disabled facilities Grant web pages.

How to apply

Contact us to request an occupational therapy assessment. This assessment will initially look at what equipment, reablement or minor adaptations will make it easier for you to live independently.

For major adaptations, if a financial means test needs to be carried out you will be made aware of this during your assessment. You will then be given advice to on how to apply for financial assistance.

Further information is available on the website.

Who to contact

Slough Borough Council
01753 475111
Slough Borough Council

Local Offer

Last Updated


This information has been collected from third party providers therefore the Slough Family Information Service website and Slough Borough Council cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of this information and recommends that parents, carers, young people, residents and professionals check with providers regarding DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) and OFSTED registrations and CQC registrations