Solihull Approach online parenting guides
Service has Local Offer
During this difficult time, when many families are struggling during the recent Covid outbreak, Frimley local maternity system is making a free online parenting course available as additional support for parents, carers and grandparents caring for children from antenatal to 18 years. This is a growth and learning opportunity to you as parents and carers as well.
Bringing up children is a lot of fun but can also have its challenges and understanding your child's emotional development can be helpful.
The free courses are for parents and carers living in the Frimley Health and Care area including Ascot, Bracknell, Farnham, Maidenhead, North East Hampshire, Slough, Windsor and South East Bucks.
The courses can be taken in English and a wide range of community languages. There are also courses to help those caring for children have special educational needs and for teenagers.
There are various modules to cover different stages of your child’s life, which has been put together by health professionals working with parents.
- The online course can be done at a time and place to suit your family life.
- It is 11 modules long and each module takes about 20 minutes with voiceovers for the main text.
- There are interactive activities, quizzes, video clips and practical handouts.
- Works on Pcs, Macs, ipads, laptops, mobiles and tablets.
- Available in English, Urdu, Polish, Arabic, simplified Chinese and more via Google Translate.
Free online parenting courses include:
- how your child develops 26 units - introduction to how the course works, lots of great information about what is going on inside your child's brain and how this affects their behaviour
- understanding how your child is feeling 21 units - exploring the signs and signals that tell you how your child is feeling
- tuning into what your child needs 16 units - tuning into what your child needs
- responding to how your child is feeling 20 units - responding to how your child is feeling
- different styles of Parenting 14 units - different styles of parenting
- having fun together 16 units - having fun together
- rhythm of interaction 18 units - in this session we’re going to look at what's called the Dance of Reciprocity, the way that we communicate with each other and our children. We are going to think about what this teaches us about managing feelings and behaviour
- why sleep is important? 16 units - in this session we’re going to explore how sleep is directly linked to your child’s healthy development as well as to their mental and physical wellbeing. We are also going to explore the link between reciprocity and everyday behaviours such as sleep
- self regulation and anger 20 units - in this session we’re going to continue looking at self-regulation and think about the way in which our understanding of the Dance of Reciprocity affects self-regulation
- communication and tuning in 20 units - in this session we’re going to look at how the way we communicate shapes and reflects the relationship between parent and child. Because the ways we communicate are not always perfect and we’re not always in tune with our children, we’re going to explore how to make things better
- looking back and looking forward 13 units - This session will be a little different as it’s the last one. We’re going to draw the course to a close, reflect on containment and reciprocity, and summarise what has been going on over the last 10 modules.
For further information about the course visit inourplace website.
Sign up for free parenting classes
To get free access to the courses, if you live in East Berkshire or North East Hampshire and Farnham use the access code 'PARENTING’.
If you live in Surrey it is ACORN. (Access codes are not case sensitive)
Who to contact
This information has been collected from third party providers therefore the Slough Family Information Service website and Slough Borough Council cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of this information and recommends that parents, carers, young people, residents and professionals check with providers regarding DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) and OFSTED registrations and CQC registrations