FREE Blood pressure check at a local pharmacy in Slough
Get your FREE blood pressure checks at a local pharmacy – Slough
Free blood pressure checks are being offered at 17 local pharmacies across Slough for people over 40 with no known diagnosis of high blood pressure.
One in nine adults in the UK has high blood pressure but is unaware. If left untreated, the condition – also known as hypertension – can raise a person’s risk of serious health problems, including having a heart attack or suffering a stroke.
Atrial fibrillation is a heart condition that causes an irregular and often abnormally fast heart rate.
There are a number of potential causes of high blood pressure, including being overweight, having too much salt, alcohol or caffeine in your diet, lack of exercise and not getting enough sleep. People of African or Caribbean descent can also be prone to high blood pressure.
Local health and care organisations, working under the Frimley Health and Care Integrated Care System (ICS), have teamed up with pharmacies to help identify people with high blood pressure and atrial fibrillation so those individuals can get the advice and treatment they need.
Fiona Edwards, Lead of the Frimley Health and Care ICS, said: “We want local people to be able to be in charge of their own health and for us to be able to support them to lead happy and healthy lives.
“Sometimes health problems can be a hidden and they are only detected during a medical check-up. We’re encouraging anyone over the age of 40, who hasn’t already been diagnosed with high blood pressure or atrial fibrillation, to visit one of the participating pharmacies to get tested.
“The good news is that there is a lot that we can all do to reduce our risk of developing high blood pressure and if you are diagnosed, there are many different ways to improve your condition, from changing your diet to using relaxation techniques, and ultimately medication if necessary.”
Seventeen pharmacies across Slough are taking part in the scheme:
- K pharmacy - 400 Farnham Road, SL2 1JD
- Crystal Pharmacy - 239 Farnham Road, SL2 1DE
- Harrison Chemist - 7 Kennedy Parade, Twist Way, SL2 2BF
- Moonlight Pharmacy - At Moonlight Dental Surgery, Wentworth Avenue, SL2 2DG
- Colnbrook Pharmacy - 36 High Street, Colnbrook, SL3 0LX
- H.A. McParland Lt - 306 Trelawney Avenue, Langley, SL3 7UB
- Kamal Enterprises Ltd - 14 Woodland Avenue, SL1 3BU
- The Martin Pharmacy - 6 Baylis Rd, Slough SL1 3LF
- Lloyds Pharmacy - 10 Upton Lea Parade, Wexham Road, SL2 5JU
- John Ross Pharmacy - 112 Stoke Rd, Slough SL2 5AP
- Boots UK - 184 High St, SL1 1JR
- Kamal Enterprises Ltd - 16 Chalvey Road West, SL1 2PN
- Campbell Pharmacy - 133 Bath Road, SL1 3UR
- B & P Pharmacy - 6 Stoneymead, SL1 2YL
- J's Chemist - 16-18 Chalvey Road East, SL1 2LU
- H.A Mcparland - 6 The Harrow Market, High St, Langley
- The Village Pharmacy - Mercian Way, Slough SL1 5ND
To be eligible for the free check you must be registered with a GP practice in Slough.
For further information on high blood pressure, visit: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/high-blood-pressure-hypertension/
Who to contact
- Age Range
- From 40 years, 0 months
This information has been collected from third party providers therefore the Slough Family Information Service website and Slough Borough Council cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of this information and recommends that parents, carers, young people, residents and professionals check with providers regarding DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) and OFSTED registrations and CQC registrations