Skip to main content

Bus passes for the elderly and disabled

Service has Local Offer

England's national concessionary travel passes

The concessionary bus pass entitles holders to travel free of charge on off-peak local bus services anywhere in England. Off-peak hours are 9.30am until 11pm on weekdays and all day at weekends and bank holidays.

If you wish to use your bus pass outside the off-peak hours for journeys starting in any Council area outside Slough, then you are advised to check whether it will be valid with the Council concerned.

Your pass will be valid until the expiry date showing on the front of your bus pass or until the announcement of any alterations to scheme conditions.


To be eligible for a bus pass, you must be either:

  • in England, both men and women can get a bus pass for free travel when you reach the State Pension age
  • have one of the disabilities detailed below.

To be eligible, your disability must be permanent, have lasted at least 12 months, or be likely to last at least 12 months. The disability must have a substantial effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. The
eligibility criteria below are set by the government, under the Transport Act 2000:

If you are disabled, you will automatically qualify if you:

  • are in receipt of the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance or,
  • are in receipt of war pensioner's mobility supplement or,
  • have the disability registration card (which you must present to us)
  • are blind or partially sighted
  • are profoundly or severely deaf
  • are without speech
  • have a disability or have suffered an injury which has substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • have a learning disability
  • have been refused a driving licence because of physical incapacity (does not include refusal on grounds of drug or alcohol misuse)
  • suffer from a severe mental illness
  • have 8 points or more in the moving around component for Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

We will need proof of identity and a current Department of Works and pensions (DWP) award letter.

Age of eligibility

Find out at what year you will be eligible for a bus pass at the GOV.UK where you will need to enter in your data of birth.

How do I get my bus pass?

Please call us on 01753 475111.

What should I do if I move away from Slough?

Please return your pass to the address below. You will need to apply for a new pass from your new local authority.

Bus Pass Team
Slough Borough Council
Observatory House
25 Windsor Road

Who to contact

01753 475111
Bus passes for disabled

Where to go

Slough Borough Council
Observatory House
25 Windsor Road

Local Offer

Last Updated


This information has been collected from third party providers therefore the Slough Family Information Service website and Slough Borough Council cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of this information and recommends that parents, carers, young people, residents and professionals check with providers regarding DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) and OFSTED registrations and CQC registrations