Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19):

Due to the COVID-19 situation, please contact service providers directly to confirm if the service is still available

Tax credits: working out your childcare costs

You can claim extra tax credits to help with your childcare costs if you’re eligible. Use this tool to work out what childcare costs you should claim. You can make your claim 7 days before you start paying for childcare.

If you already claim tax credits for childcare costs and your costs have changed, you can use this tool to work out if you need to report the change to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

When calculating your childcare costs, you can only include costs you pay yourself. You may not receive the correct credits if you provide the wrong amount.

You cannot include the following in your childcare calculation:

  • childcare payments from your employer - either in money or childcare vouchers

  • childcare vouchers in return for a reduction in your pay - this is called a ‘salary sacrifice’

  • childcare payments or grants from a government scheme, eg to help you start work or because you are a student

  • childcare costs paid for by an educational or local authority, eg free early learning or nursery education

Who to contact

Tax Credit helpline
0345 300 3900
0345 300 3909 (textphone for hearing or speech impaired)

Where to go

Tax Credit Office

This information has been collected from third party providers therefore the Slough Family Information Service website and Slough Borough Council cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of this information and recommends that parents, carers, young people, residents and professionals check with providers regarding DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) and OFSTED registrations and CQC registrations