Ambitious College (Ambitious about Autism)
Service has Local Offer
Ambitious College is located on the Tottenham Campus at the College of Harringey, Enfield and North East, London N15 4RU and West Thames College, West Thames College, London Rd, Isleworth TW7 4HS.
We are London’s first specialist day college for children and young people with complex autism. At Ambitious College we offer young people specialist education and support and provide the vocational and community-based opportunities they need to make a successful transition to an active life in their community, including partnerships with local employers and services.
Our co-located approach enables us to extend our curriculum significantly and offer learners a wide range of mainstream vocational learning, social opportunities and work experience. Our learners are at the heart of everything we do and their curriculum is highly personalised to help them achieve their goals. Within the curriculum we embed functional literacy and numeracy, positive behaviour support, communication skills development and ICT skills development.
We’re here to support young people with autism to achieve the life they want. To do this we follow the four pathways developed by Preparing for Adulthood:
· Vocational Learning · Independent Living · Better Health · Friends, Relationships and Community Learners, where there is an assessed need for it, have one to one support provided. The learner is at the centre of their study programme. Where possible they set and agree their own learning targets or this is done involving their circles of support. There are monthly and annual learner reviews of progress that are set up and facilitated with the full input of the learner and to which parents and any other relevant parties attend to review and reset goals. The curriculum is delivered by our very skilled and friendly staff. Staff are trained in a variety of communication methods including PECS, and Makaton. They also communicate in print and use iPads and assistive technologies where appropriate.
Our curriculum is delivered through a transdisciplinary team consisting of: · Qualified Teacher(s): plan and deliver sessions around the four Preparing for Adulthood pathways · Speech and Language Therapist(s): support learners to develop their communication and social interaction skills · Occupational Therapist(s): help learners to manage sensory issues and develop functional life skills · Behavioural Analyst(s): work with learners to overcome behavioural issues which could create barriers to learning · Employment specialist(s): support learners to develop vocational skills and access work experience · Learning and Behaviour Specialist(s): work with learners to access their
person-centred curriculum and mainstream and community provision
We know with the right support and opportunities, children and young people with autism can learn, thrive and achieve. For more information please visit our website: http://www.ambitiouscollege.org.uk
Who to contact
- Nkiruka Egwuonwu
- Ambitious College
- Daily Session Times · Monday: 09:30 - 16:00 · Tuesday: 09:30 - 16:00 · Wednesday: 09:30 - 16:00 · Thursday: 09:30 - 16:00 · Friday: 09:30 - 16:00 Availability Term Time only, but the College offers an extended 40 week term.
Where to go
- Pears Campus The College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London
- N15 4RU
- Costs by arrangement: Our learners are funded by local authorities, usually from education budgets with some input from social care and / or health as best meets the young person’s needs. Personal budgets can be used for the service, though we are in the early stages of exploring this with families and local authorities.
- Local authorities or parents or self referral.
This information has been collected from third party providers therefore the Slough Family Information Service website and Slough Borough Council cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of this information and recommends that parents, carers, young people, residents and professionals check with providers regarding DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) and OFSTED registrations and CQC registrations