Skip to main content


Service has Local Offer

Haybrook College specialises in supporting young people who have Social, Emotional or Behavioural difficulties. We aim to “Inspire and support Young people to make positive choices about the future” through the creation of a personalised curriculum and through mentoring from highly trained staff.



Who to contact

Helen Huntley
Executive Headteacher
01628 696076
Haybrook College

Where to go

Millside School
112, Burnham Lane

Local Offer

Contact Name
Mr Jamie Rockman ( From September 2018)
Contact Telephone
01628 696075
Contact Email
Haybrook College
Local Offer Age Bands
Secondary (11-16 years)

Extended Local Offer Response

Special Educational Needs Policy

  • Millside School is a special school within Haybrook College for young people with Social Emotional and mental Health Difficulties. 
  • The special school provides 60 places for young people aged 11 -16, all whom have a Education Health and Care Plan.
  • When young people leave us at the end of Year 11 we aim to ensure that they are able to successfully transfer into further Education Employment, or Training (EET). 

Teaching and Learning

       What additional support can be provided in the classroom?
The class size is small, with no more than six young people and there are always two adults in the class, a teacher and a Sports Coach Mentor. Sometimes there will be an additional coach supporting members of the class where felt necessary to ensure teaching and learning is always at its best.

What provision do you offer to facilitate access to the curriculum and to develop independent learning?
The curriculum is based on the National Curriculum but it is carefully adapted to ensure that pupils have the best possible chance of success. There is a focus on literacy and numeracy as well as a range of options many of which are more practically based.  A lot of time is spent on developing the pupils’ ability to work with each other. All breaks and lunch times are supervised by staff and there is no time during the school day when the pupils are unsupervised. At Key Stage 3, we have developed a Themed Curriculum which is based on topics; this helps pupils both link their learning across the curriculum and consolidate knowledge. In Years 7 and 8, we have nurture groups, where the pupils spend most of their time with their class teacher and go to other specialist teachers for subjects such as Art, ICT, Design Technology and PE for example.

What ongoing support and development is in place for staff regards supporting children and young people with SEN?
All staff have training to ensure that they understand how young people learn. We also ensure that all staff are able to identify any difficulties that young people have and work with them to overcome these. The Special Educational needs Coordinator, SENCO, is also able to access additional or more specific support for both the pupils who may need it and for targeted staff training when needed.

What arrangements are made for reasonable adjustments in the curriculum and support to the pupil during exams?
All young people are tested to see whether they are entitled to additional help during their exams. These are called Access Arrangements, and can include supporting pupils with scribes, readers, prompts and extra time.If they do qualify for extra support, this is always provided by staff who know the young people.

How do you share educational progress and outcomes with parents?
The first day of each term is a target setting day to which parents / carers are invited with their child. Progress Reports are sent out at the end of the Autumn and Spring terms, with a full subject report towards the end of the academic year. Parents / Carers Consultation Afternoons are also held in the Spring term, with an additional Consultation meeting for parents of Year 7 pupils in the Autumn term. At the Annual Review of your child’s  Education, Health and Care Plan, progress will always be discussed also. We operate an 'Open Door' policy and are happy to meet you at any time, in order to review your child’s progress and outcomes.

What external teaching and learning do you offer?
In oder to ensure a personalises curriculum offer which reflects young peoples' interests and strengths, the school uses a range of off-site providers; this can include Horse Whispering, sessions at educational farms for animal therapies. In addition, Millside will sometimes access vocational learning  at Pitstop, a provision staffed by Haybrook College which offers catering, construction and motor vehicle. The local Colleges are also sometimes used to provide a wider range of courses such as  Hair and Beauty and  ICT. Part of the curriculum at KS3 is ‘Creative Learning’ and we offer the pupils the opportunities to learn and develop new skills and experiences, such as skiing, various physical activities / sports, animation etc. Off-site educational trips and visits are also provided regularly to support education on-site.

What arrangements are in place to ensure that support is maintained in "off site provision"?
Some young people are given the opportunity to access education being provided by external agencies.  We only use provision that we know, and the pupils are usually accompanied by a member of the school staff. The College has a process of quality assurance regarding offsite providers which ensures that safeguarding is effective and the provision is of good quality. 

What work experience opportunities do you offer?
Preparing young people to move on to College or a job is very important to us. All year 10 students go on work experience and visit local Colleges. Pupils are fully prepared for this beforehand with a series of workshops, and then regularly supported during the work experience by school staff. When appropriate, some pupils can access regular work experience to complement their timetable, following successful work experience placement weeks. For those young people who are not quite ready for moving on, Haybrook College have developed a post 16 provision which any Millside pupil can go to if appropriate. The is called The Gateway. 

Identifying and Assessing Special Educational Needs

·        At Millside, young people already have an EHC plan in place before joining the school in which needs are identified. However, through continual assessment further educational needs may be identified by staff at Millside and strategies put in place to address these difficulties.The schools employs a range of professionals to further support this process including an Educational Psychologist, and staff from the autism service amongst others. Haybrook College focuses on ensuring staff are appropriately trained to meet the needs of their learners, and now Millside have several staff trained in Speech, Language and Communication Needs as well as Autism Spectrum Disorders to ensure they can advise staff on appropriate strategies and resources. Young people and parents are encouraged to let staff know if they are finding anything particularly difficult.

Involving Parents and Children and Young People in Planning and Reviewing Progress

What arrangements are in place for review meetings for children with Statements or Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans?
All young people have an EHC plan. Parents and carers are always invited to the review process organised by the School’s SENCO or Assistant SENCO. They have the opportunity to share concerns and alongside their child and help to write the targets. The SENCO will usually meet with the child before the review meeting to gain their views so that they feel prepared for the meeting.

What arrangements are in place for children with other SEN support needs?
Millside School works closely with a range of professionals who support the young people who attend the school. These include staff from the Autism service, Speech and Language service, the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) and the Educational Psychology Service. We also have a Psychotherapist, who works with young people at the school to support their anxieties and emotional difficulties.We can also provide specific support through an Art Therapist.The SEN Personal Advisors from Adviza, also meet with our year 9, 10 and 11 pupils to help support them with their career choices at post 16. At Millside, the SEN PA works in conjunction with Haybrook College’s Moving On Coordinator.

How do you ensure that parents know “who’s who” and who they can contact if they have concerns about their child/young person?
As a part of the young person’s induction in to the school, parents are given the opportunity to meet key members of staff, including the Head of Millside, the Deputy, the Senior Teacher and the Pastoral Lead. The pupil will also meet every member of staff on their induction programme. Parents will find that the staff team at Millside are very friendly and are always on hand to help however they can.

Do parents have to make an appointment to meet with staff or do you have an Open Door policy?
Due to the small numbers, we are able to have very regular contact with parents. We will always make time to meet with parents / carers, whether they have made an appointment or not.

How do you keep parents updated with their child/young person’s progress?
Academic progress is reported to parents at the end of the Autumn Term and the end of the Spring term. A full report will be sent out towards the end of the school year. Progress will also be shared at termly target setting meetings, annual review meetings and parent consultation meetings: teaching staff are always happy to discuss more specific progress with you at any point, if you have any concerns.

How can parents give feedback to the school? 
At the target days and parents evening, parents and carers have the opportunity to give the school feedback.

Do you have home/school contracts?
No, we don’t. We do not especially like ‘rules,’ we prefer to work with ‘expectations.’ We explain our expectations when pupils start at Millside, and always encourage pupils to follow them. However we do not like to use home/school contracts as they can become negative if and when rules inevitably get broken. We find they are better suited to mainstream schools.

What opportunities do you offer for pupils to have their say? e.g. school council
We have a Student Council where pupils can discuss issues that are important to them. Each class has a representative on the Council. Students are also on a pupil panel when there are interviews for staff as we value their opinion about who they would like to work with them.

What opportunities are there for parents to have their say about their son/daughter’s education?
We welcome parents / carers sharing their feelings about their child’s education. We have regular opportunities at target setting meetings, parent consultation meetings and at annual reviews although we are always happy for parents to talk to us in between these more formal opportunities.

What opportunities are there for parents to get involved in the school or become school governors?
Parents / carers are sometimes invited on educational visits and activities: if you are happy to be involved in this way, please let us know. We have previously had a parent’s support group where parents carers  have met together socially and supported each other.

Additional Support

Do you offer help with completing forms and paperwork?  If yes, who normally provides this help and how would parents access this?

The SENCO can help parent’s complete paperwork which may be about or affect their child. This can be done by calling the office to ask for an appointment. The school will also sign post parents carers to Special Voices, a voluntary group which supports the parents / carers of young people with special educational needs. 

What information, advice and guidance can parents and young people access through the school?   Who normally provides this help and how would they access this?

Young people at Millside school are supported by a Moving on Coordinator who provides information and advice about careers about moving on to employment or further education. A Special Educational Needs personal advisor (SEN PA) will also offer support to pupils from Year 9 through to Year 11. The SEN PA attends Annual Reviews and will usually meet with your child a couple of times throughout this time. If parents have any questions about their child’s options post 16 or any other related matter, we can arrange for the Moving On Coordinator or the SEN PA to contact you.

How does the school help parents with travel plans to get their son/daughter to and from school?

These are discussed at the Annual Review. Individual support on independent travel can be developed with support from a Sports Coach Mentor, the Moving on Coordinator or the Family Link Worker. Millside can now directly support with travel to and from school, especially if they are eligible for home school transport from Slough. Transport is provided by Millside staff so the young people get to see a friendly face at the start of the day, and parents / carers can also liaise with travel mentors if there is an issue.

Extra Activities

·        Do you offer school holiday and/or before and after school provision?  If yes, please give details. 

Millside has a very popular breakfast club, where the majority of pupils and staff eat a healthy breakfast together before the start of the school day. There is an after schools programme offering mainly sporting activities for pupils to participate in. During the summer holidays, we are sometimes able to offer a week’s summer school programme offering free and fun activities for Millside pupils. Slough’s Youth Service offer activities throughout the holidays too and we inform the children of what is on offer in their local areas.

       What lunchtime or after school activities do you offer?  Do parents have to pay for these and if so, how much?

All activities are free. 

How do you make sure clubs, activities and residential trips are inclusive?

We ensure all activities are free to our young people, and will provide transport where possible to ensure that pupils do not miss out. We will ensure that parents and carers are aware of clubs and activities by making phone calls as well as sending out letters. Staff also work tirelessly to ensure that clubs are adapted to ensure that anyone who wants to attend can, no matter what their SEN is.  

How do you help children and young people to make friends?

This is at the heart of all we do. Staff encourage pupils to develop and sustain friendships by helping them develop their social skills, giving them opportunities to work closely and constructively together, and modelling positive relationships throughout the school day. We encourage a community of tolerance and understanding and help our young people to develop their abilities to make friendships in a safe and secure environment. Helping our young people to develop into independent and successful individuals, both academically and socially is the core purpose of the staff team at Millside School.

Meeting the Social and Emotional Needs of Children and Young People with SEN

How do we ensure pupils remain healthy? (including Emotional Health and Wellbeing)
We believe that if young people are not healthy they will not learn. We therefore make sure that young people’s needs are met as fully as possible; a healthy breakfast and lunch are provided, academic and pastoral support remain our focus and healthy lifestyles encouraged. All staff are trained in Child Protection with some Qualified First Aiders also on the staff team. 

What is the school’s policy on administering medication?
The school has a medical cabinet which is locked and within a room which is also locked. A member of staff will also ring for permission before allowing pupils to have their medication unless it is a medical emergency. We keep Calpol, Paracetamol and Hayfever medication in our medical cabinet also, and we will ask parents if they would like their child to be offered some medication before sending children home ill: it is always our aim to try to keep pupils in school where possible.


How do you work with the family to draw up a care plan and ensure that all relevant staff are aware of the plan?
At the end of each day, all staff have a meeting at which the young people at Millside school are discussed. This provides the opportunity to share the most current information to the appropriate staff. All staff have access to a confidential Pupil Information Folder that includes Individual Pupil Management Plans, Pupil Risk Assessments, Positive Handling Plans, medical and SEN information so that they are all fully aware of each pupil’s needs. Termly IEPs targets are written with families and again, all staff have copies and are aware of each pupil’s targets. This information is only shared with those members of staff who need to know.


What would the school do in the case of a medical emergency?
If there was a medical emergency the School would call 999 and a member of staff would accompany the young person in the ambulance. Parents would be informed as soon as practically possible.


How do you ensure that staff are trained/qualified to deal with a child’s particular needs?
There is a comprehensive training programme in place to support Millside staff: there is also a full and well developed induction programme set up for all new staff. As well as regular Continual Professional Development training for Millside staff and also the wider Haybrook College training offer. There is a wealth of experience amongst the staff, including staff who have specialist experience and knowledge and /or training in the specifics of SEN, such as Dyslexia, ASD, Speech Language and Communication Needs and more complex needs. In addition to this, the Educational Psychologist holds solution-focussed strategy meetings which both share good practice and help find effective strategies for pupils maybe causing concern.


Which health or therapy services can children access on school premises?
There is a range of support available to support young people, including the school nursing team who support the school with Sexual Health Education and any other health issues or concerns, Turning Point who offer drugs, alcohol and smoking education as well as individual counselling and a psychotherapist who offers individual and family therapy.  

Keeping Up to Date with Knowledge and Skills

·        Recruitment
Haybrook College ensures that when staff are employed by the College, they come with experience and skills which are needed to work with young people with SEN.  

In addition to this there is an induction programme which all staff are required to undertake. This training ensures that staff are aware of the correct safeguarding procedures and the management of challenging behaviour. Throughout the year, the school also has a range of training opportunities to ensure that all staff are kept up to date with their knowledge and understanding of SEN. A range of professionals are invited in to school to share their expertise as well as well as ‘in-house’ training and the sharing of outstanding practice across the College.



We understand that moving schools at any point can be a particularly stressful time for young people and their parents / carers. We support young people to make this move as smooth and as stress-free as possible through a carefully individualised transition programme.

What support does the school offer for year 6 pupils coming to the school?  (e.g. visits to the school, buddying)

All year 6 pupils are visited by Millside staff during the summer term. Millside staff will also attend the young person’s Year 6 Annual Review. Throughout the Summer term, there is a comprehensive transition programme, which starts with staff meeting pupils within their primary schools, pupils visiting the school and meeting staff when there are no other pupils around, and then slowly joining Millside for lessons, gradually increasing the time spent at school. New pupils are invited to attend a summer school week, usually the first week of the school holidays where they get further opportunities to get to know each other and some of the key staff they will work with, through a programme of fun and educational activities.


What support is offered for young people leaving the school? (e.g. careers guidance, visits to colleges, apprenticeships, supported employment etc)
Pupils get advice from the SEN PA from year 9 until the age of 25 years old. Millside pupils have the support of Haybrook College’s Moving On Coordinator. She works with the pupils in school from year 11, supporting their applications and visits to colleges, helping them with interview preparation and even supporting with travel to interviews if necessary. Full support is offered from this stage onwards, through the summer holidays, through the initial phase of enrolling at college through to the following February. For pupils who are not quite at the stage for further education at one of the local colleges, Haybrook College has developed The Gateway, a specialist post 16 provision that works with pupils with SEN to prepare them for further education. 


What advice/support do you offer young people and their parents about preparing for adulthood?
The College buys in a range of support from outside agencies to ensure that all young people have access to impartial Advice, Information and Guidance.


What handover arrangements will be made at the start and end of the school day?  Do you have parking areas for pick up and drop offs?
Most young people who attend Millside are brought to and from school by school transport: this is provided by haybrook College, all minibuses being driven by Millside staff, with at least one mentor also on the bus. At the end of the day, pupils are escorted to their minibuses by a member of staff. We encourage parents to call the school in the morning if there are any concerns or important information we need, that may support us in supporting their children: they are equally able to have a word with the transport staff in the morning or at the end of the day.  Staff will also call parents at the end of the day if they would like to hear about their child’s day. We are happy to make contact daily or weekly, to give a general update. whichever you would find the most helpful.


What support is offered during breaks and lunchtimes?
There is a range of activities available to young people at break times and lunch times. There is always an option of two different sporting activities offered by the SCM team. For those who don’t want to get involved in sport, there is a choice of indoor activities, such as ICT club, a Lego Club, Art and Crafts, Puzzles and playing board games with staff and each other. Staff always have their lunch with the young people and spend time with them at breaks.


How do you ensure my son/daughter stays safe outside the classroom? (e.g. during PE lessons and school trips)
All activities are risk assessed and staffing ratios are high. Staff are always carefully selected to ensure pupils are fully supported.


What are the school arrangements for undertaking risk assessments? 
The school buys in to a risk assessment. An experienced member of staff has the responsibility for conducting and recording all risk assessments.


Where can parents find details of policies on bullying?
Policies can be found on the website and we will give hard copies to anyone who wants to. Parents and carers are encouraged to come in to school if they have any concerns about their child being bullied.

Helpful Contacts


EHT - 01628 696076 - 

Head of Millside  - 01628 696062 -  

SENCO at Millside School - 01628 696061 -  /  

Slough Children's Services Trust SEN- 01753 787676 

EP Service - 01628 787660 

SEND Advice & Support Service - 01753 787693

Last Updated


This information has been collected from third party providers therefore the Slough Family Information Service website and Slough Borough Council cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of this information and recommends that parents, carers, young people, residents and professionals check with providers regarding DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) and OFSTED registrations and CQC registrations