Skip to main content

Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse can occur in many families and relationships, and doesn’t just affect adults, it affects children too. Controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse can occur in any relationship, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, sexuality or economic status.

Who can help me?

  • In an emergency call 999 immediately.
  • To contact police in an non emergency -  0800 0283550
  • Report a child at risk through the Slough Children First  - 01753 875362
  • Report suspected adult abuse through Slough Adult Social Care Services -  01753 475111 (option 1)
  • National Domestic Abuse helpline – 0808 2000247
  • The Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme is often called ‘Clare’s Law’ after the landmark case that led to it. Clare’s Law gives any member of the public the right to ask the police if their partner may pose a risk to them. Under Clare’s Law, a member of the public can also make enquiries into the partner of a close friend or family member. To make an application you'll need to call 101; we'll take the details and talk you through the next steps.

What you can do

Children affected by domestic abuse may suffer long term psychological effects and may require specialist support. If you suspect a child is suffering with domestic abuse this should be immediately reported to Slough Children First  or 01753 875362.

You can contact the Family Information Service on 01753 476589 or email for help and signposting to local and national services.

In addition, the 24 hour National Domestic Violence Free phone Helpline on 0808 2000 247 also offers telephone translation services for callers whose first language is not English and BT Type talk for callers with hearing difficulties. This helpline provides support and the opportunity to access refuge services.

Further information can be found on the NSPCC website including tools and guidance for parents and families.

Slough Family Information Service provides information on various support services and signposts to related services. A list of services that might be of help is available below. 

Advice & Support

Specialist domestic abuse service

  • Hestia - provide practical and emotional support to women, men and children who are victims of domestic violence.
  • Hestia - Freedom Programme - psycho-educational programme for those needing awareness around Domestic Abuse, may still be in relationship with perpetrator.
  • Bright Sky is a free to download mobile app provided by Hestia providing support and information to anyone who may be in an abusive relationship or those concerned about someone they know.
  • Sewak housing – Freedom Programme - is a rolling 10-week programme in Asian Languages (Urdu, Punjabi), you are welcome to join at any time.
  • Galop, the LGBT+ anti-violence charity – support lesbian, gay, bi, trans and queer people
  • National Centre for Domestic Violence - provides a free, fast emergency injunction service to survivors of domestic violence
  • Slough Adult Social Care Services - report suspected adult abuse
  • Men's Advice Line - Help and support for male victims of domestic violence
  • Survivors UK - for male survivors of domestic abuse
  • Reducing the Risk of Domestic Abuse - is dedicated to the safety of adults and children at risk of domestic abuse. 
  • Chances for children - Anchor Project - provides funding for items and activities to help a child who might be experiencing a range of emotional or educational difficulties including behavioural problems, low self confidence, isolation and poor school performance.
  • Flag DV offer a 30 minute free legal advice appointment for victims of domestic abuse.  The service is for those aged over 18 years who need advice about family law.  Clients will be offered a telephone consultation or face to face appointment and the service is free and available across Thames Valley.

Useful Resources

Thames Valley Police Videos

If you know of a service that offers support in this area which we may have overlooked, please email with the details so we can add it to the website.